- Created the animations used by the Monty Python comedy troupe, of which he was the only non-British member.
- While filming Brazil (1985), clashed with producers and movie execs on the film's length and tone; when he won Best Director and Best Screenplay (with Tom Stoppard and Charles McKeown) at the 1985 Los Angeles Film Critics Awards, the studio felt it had to release the movie as Gilliam intended it.
- Nominated for the Saturn Awards' Best Director three times: in 1981 for fantasy-comedy Time Bandits, in 1991 for drama The Fisher King and in 1995 for sci-fi thriller 12 Monkeys.
- Started filming The Man Who Killed Don Quixote in 2001, but never completed the movie; its troubled production became the subject of the 2002 documentary Lost in La Mancha.
- In 2004, was awarded an honorary D.F.A. from Occidental College (his alma mater) and an honorary doctorate from the Wimbledon School of Art in London.
- Renounced his American citizenship in 2006.
- Has an asteroid named for him, 9619 Terrygilliam.
- 2012, Taormina Film Fest — Taormina Arte Award: Winner
- 2009, BAFTA Film Awards — Academy Fellowship: Winner
- 1991, Toronto International Film Festival — People's Choice Award: Winner
- 1992, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1991, Venice Film Festival — Best Direction: Winner
- 1985, Oscar — Best Writing (Original Screenplay): Nominee
- 1984, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Short Film: Nominee
- Amy Rainbow Gilliam — Daughter
- Glenys Roberts — Ex-significant Other
- Harry Thunder Gilliam — Son
- Beatrice Gilliam — Mother
- Margaret Weston — Wife
- Holly du Bois Gilliam — Daughter
- James Hall Gilliam — Father
- Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA (BA in Political Science, 1962)
- Birth Name: Terry Vance Gilliam
- Birth Place: Minneapolis, MN
- Profession: Director, Writer, Animator, Actor, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
Here's how everything changed in "Chapter 6"
By HarperCollins UKBuy New: $24.95
By Applause Theatre & Cinema BooksBuy New: $15.95
The Battle of Brazil: Terry Gilliam v. Universal Pictures in the Fight to the Final Cut (The Applause Screenplay Series)
By Applause Theatre & Cinema BooksBuy New: $19.71