After retiring from football in 1998, the imposing-looking Crews made his acting debut on the short-lived, syndicated extreme-sports series Battle Dome. Meanwhile, he made his film debut in the 2000 action flick The 6th Day. As his acting career picked up momentum, he continued to play an assortment of goofy thugs on both the big and small screens. His supporting comedic roles were mostly in slapstick fare including as Serving Sara (2002), White Chicks (2004), Starsky & Hutch (2004) and Soul Plane (2004). A role in the 2005 remake of The Longest Yard introduced Crews to Chris Rock, who handpicked him to play the strict but infinitely huggable patriarch on the semi-autobiographical sitcom Everybody Hates Chris. In 2010, Crews was cast as a dad again on the TBS sitcom Are We There Yet? and also showcased his real-life brood in the BET reality series The Family Crews. While working steadily on TV, he continued to appear in films such as the action-packed Sylvester Stallone flick The Expendables.
- Studied art at the Interlochen Center for the Arts in Interlochen, MI.
- Attended Western Michigan University on art and football scholarships.
- Was selected by the San Diego Chargers in the 11th round (as the 281st player taken) of the 1991 NFL draft, and played for five teams before retiring in 1998.
- Made film debut in 2000's The 6th Day.
- In 2005, a role the remake of The Longest Yard introduced Crews to Chris Rock, who cast him as the patriarch on his semi-autobiographical sitcom Everybody Hates Chris.
- Painted a line of licensed NFL lithographs
- In 2010, he played a dad on the TBS sitcom Are We There Yet? and showcased his family in the BET reality The Family Crews.
- 2014, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- Tera Crews — Daughter
- Azriel Crews — Daughter
- Naomi Crews — Daughter
- Wynfrey Crews — Daughter
- Rebecca Crews — Wife
- Attended Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
- Birth Place: Flint, Michigan, United States
- Profession: Actor, Professional football player