- Worked on farms and oil wells growing up in Texas and Oklahoma.
- Was a star linebacker on his prep-school football team.
- Did graduate work in philosophy at Oxford University on a Rhodes Scholarship; studied literature at the Sorbonne in Paris.
- Taught philosophy at MIT and worked as a magazine writer (for Life and Newsweek) in the late 1960s.
- Was a member of the AFI Center for Advanced Film Studies' first graduating class.
- Wrote an early draft of Dirty Harry (1971).
- Financed directorial debut (1973's Badlands) independently, with help from one of his brothers.
- Much of Days of Heaven, the 1978 Oscar winner for cinematography, was filmed between sunset and nightfall because of the rich and fleeting quality of the natural light at that time of day.
- Took a 20-year directing hiatus after Days of Heaven, living in Paris much of the time; his comeback film, 1998's The Thin Red Line, earned seven Oscar nominations (but didn't win any).
- Hobbies include birdwatching.
- 1979, Cannes Film Festival — Best Director: Winner
- 1979, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1998, Oscar — Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Nominee
- 1998, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Nominee
- 2011, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Nominee
- 1999, Berlin Film Festival — Golden Bear: Winner
- 2012, David di Donatello Awards — Best Foreign Film: Nominee
- 0, — :
- Alexandra Wallace — Wife
- Irene Malick — Mother
- Chris Malick — Brother
- Jill Jakes — Ex-wife
- Michèle Morette — Ex-wife
- Emil Malick — Father
- Larry Malick — Brother
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (BA in philosophy, 1965); American Film Institute, Center for Advanced Film Studies, Los Angeles, CA (MFA); attended University of Oxford, Magdalen College, Oxford, England
Trending TonightSee all »
By University of Illinois PressUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $19.80 (as of 1:49 PM UTC - more info)
By Bloomsbury AcademicUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $35.96 (as of 1:49 PM UTC - more info)
Eine Entwicklungstendenz Im Philosophisch-Poetischen Erzahlstil Von Terrence Malick (German Edition)
By GRIN VerlagTemporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your credit card will not be charged until we ship the item. Buy New: $21.50 (as of 1:49 PM UTC - more info)