- Charmed director Peter Bogdanovich and was cast as a scrappy orphan opposite her father Ryan O'Neal in 1973's Paper Moon, a role that led to her becoming the youngest actor to win an Oscar.
- Received over $300,000 (a record for a child actor of the time) to appear in 1976's Bad News Bears.
- After marrying tennis star John McEnroe in 1986, her acting career stalled while she focused on being a wife and mother.
- Wrote about her tumultuous childhood, her battles with alcohol and drug addictions, her volatile marriage, and her troubled relationship with her father in her 2004 memoir A Paper Life.
- Found renewed career success with appearances on television shows including HBO's Sex and the City and FX's Rescue Me.
- 1974, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1973, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 1974, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actress: Winner
- Joanna Moore — Mother
- Redmond O'Neal — Half Brother
- Patrick O'Neal — Half Brother
- Kevin McEnroe — Son
- John McEnroe — Ex-husband
- Ryan O'Neal — Father
- Griffin O'Neal — Brother
- Charles O'Neal — Grandfather
- Sean O'Neal — Son
- Emily McEnroe — Daughter
- Patricia O'Neal — Grandmother
- Birth Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
The Walking Dead returns to a mysterious colony with a lot of guns