This stage-trained actor with a mysterious air has thrived in soaps since the 1980s. After a handful of TV spots, Nichols landed his career-making Days of Our Lives role as an infamous, eye-patch-sporting hunk (nicknamed "Patch," of course). He left the show in 1990 and began popping up in prime time with recurring roles on Empty Nest and the short-lived drama Second Chances. But in 1996 he returned to his daytime roots and spent seven years as an evil CEO on General Hospital. In 2006, 16 years after his character was ostensibly killed, an amnesia-stricken Patch came back to Days. But it turned out that Nichols' Days were numbered, and he wound up on The Young and the Restless starting with episodes airing in early 2010. Off-screen, Nichols has provided the voice for many IKEA commercials and is married with three children: His daughter Vanessa and son Aaron (as Patch in flashbacks) both appeared with him on Days.
- Turned down an art scholarship to Ohio University.
- Studied to be a monk at the Self-Realization Fellowship Temple in Hollywood, where he worked as a cook and lived for three years before pursuing acting as a career.
- Trained as an actor at the Los Angeles City College Theatre Academy.
- His role as Steve "Patch" Johnson on Days of Our Lives earned him widespread recognition among television viewers and once ranked him second in the TVQ ratings (Bill Cosby was #1).
- Nominated for a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series in 1988 for Days of Our Lives.
- Provided the voice for IKEA for a publicity campaign.
- Has assisted efforts for Haitian relief in the wake of the 2010 earthquake.
- Taking on his 2010 role as businessman Tucker McCall on The Young and the Restless, he told writer Michael Fairman, had him scrambling to learn such terms as "takeover" and "dominant market share."
- Vanessa Nichols — Daughter
- Dylan Nichols — Daughter
- Aaron Nichols — Son
- Lisa Nichols — Wife
- Birth Place: Cincinnati, OH
- Profession: Actor, Director
Trending TonightSee all »
She wants her to make it!