After appearing in a handful of commercials and stage productions as a child, Grayden put off her entertainment career until she graduated from Barnard College. She then racked up an impressive amount of off-Broadway credits before appearing on the small screen with a regular part on the short-lived sci-fi series John Doe
. Recurring roles on Six Feet Under
and Joan of Arcadia
raised her profile and helped her win the part of an injured soldier's wife on the critically lauded Iraq War drama Over There
. Despite rave reviews, the show was canceled after its freshman season and Grayden bounced back with a part on the post-apocalyptic drama Jericho
. Though it was also canceled after its first season, fans demanded more and the show came back for seven additional episodes. Her visibility on television continued, including supporting roles as First Daughter Olivia Taylor on 24
and Donna Lerner on Sons of Anarchy
.Sprague Grayden Fast Facts:
- Started acting at the age of 5.
- Her first name is her mother’s maiden name.
- Made big screen debut in 1989’s Dad, playing a younger version of Kathy Bates, also starring Jack Lemmon.
- Graduated cum laude from Barnard College.
- After numerous theater roles, landed her first regular TV series role in 2002 as Karen Kawalski in John Doe.
- Played Olivia, daughter of President Taylor, in Day 7 of 24.
- Sprague Grayden Relationships:
- Bill Grayden - Father
- Lois Grayden - Mother
- Benjamin Grayden - Brother
- Sprague Grayden Awards:
- 2004 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series - Nominee
- Barnard College, New York, NY (BA in American Studies)