- Earned a variety of awards while working as a sports columnist for The Miami Herald, Los Angeles Times, The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Times Herald, Chicago Tribune and San Jose Mercury News.
- Parlayed his long-time access to the Dallas Cowboys into a trilogy of books about the team, including God's Coach: The Hymns, Hype and Hypocrisy of Tom Landry's Cowboys; The Boys: Jones vs. Johnson - The Feud That Rocked America's Team; and Hell-Bent: The Crazy Truth About the "Win or Else" Dallas Cowboys.
- Added radio and television to his repertoire in the 1990s, helping to launch the all-sports 1310 "The Ticket" in Dallas, while also appearing often on The Jim Rome Show, The Sports Reporters, NFL Prime Monday, Jim Rome is Burning and Golf Channel.
- Established a daily sports-commentary role on ESPN First Take (formerly Cold Pizza) in 2004, eventually dropping his columnist role on espn.com to focus on the show's "1st & 10" segment.
- Appeared in the 2006 film Rocky Balboa along with fellow ESPN commentator Woody Paige. Bayless played himself, mocking Balboa's participation in an upcoming fight.
- Inducted---as part of the inaugural class---into the Vanderbilt Student Media Hall of Fame in 2009. Bayless attended the prestigious school on a Fred Russell-Grantland Rice Sports Writing Scholarship.
- John Bayless — Father
- Levita Bayless — Mother
- Rick Bayless — Brother
- Vanderbilt University, Nashvillle, TN (BA in English and History, 1974)
- Birth Name: John Edward Bayless II
- Birth Place: Oklahoma City, OK
- Birthday: December 4, 1951, Sagittarius
- Profession: Sports commentator, Columnist