A Star Trek
-watching, show tune-singing, entertainment-obsessed fanboy, MacFarlane began drawing cartoons at 2 years old and was publishing his own comic strip in his hometown newspaper by the age of 8. Sure of what he wanted to do for a living, the New England-born animator landed a job with Hanna-Barbera straight out of art school, drawing storyboards and writing scripts for such series as Dexter's Laboratory
and Johnny Bravo
. Fox soon approached him about creating his own show, and in 1999 the cult favorite Family Guy
was born. With offbeat characters (many of whom were voiced by MacFarlane, who won a 2000 Emmy for his voice work), wall-to-wall pop-culture references and outrageous, politically incorrect humor that sparked all kinds of complaints, the cartoon sitcom had a rocky road and was canceled in 2002. But its surprisingly robust DVD sales prompted the network to give it another go in 2005, and MacFarlane continued his domination of Fox's Sunday-night animation block with American Dad
that same year and The Cleveland Show
in 2009. Off screen, MacFarlane is a talented pianist.Seth MacFarlane Fast Facts:
- Started drawing cartoons at age 2; his comic strip Walter Crouton was published in his hometown newspaper when he was 8 years old.
- Was hired by Hanna-Barbera directly after college when a professor sent his thesis film to the Hollywood animators.
- Evil baby Stewie Griffin on Family Guy is based on his cousin Tyler.
- Was booked on the hijacked Sept. 11, 2001, Boston-to-Los Angeles flight that hit the north tower of the World Trade Center, but he missed the plane.
- An avid Trekker, he guest-starred on episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise in 2004 and 2005; he also appeared on a 2002 episode of Gilmore Girls.
- Seth MacFarlane Relationships:
- Ron MacFarlane - Father
- Perry MacFarlane - Mother
- Rachael MacFarlane - Sister
- Seth MacFarlane Awards:
- 2012 Emmy: Outstanding Animated Program - Nominee
- 2000 Emmy: Outstanding Voice-Over Performance - Winner
- 2014 Emmy: Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance - Nominee
- 2014 Emmy: Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series - Nominee
- 2010 Emmy: Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics - Nominee
- 2015 Producers Guild Awards: Outstanding Producer of Non-Fiction Television - Nominee
- 2011 Emmy: Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics - Nominee
- 2011 Emmy: Outstanding Animated Program - Nominee
- 2009 Emmy: Outstanding Comedy Series - Nominee
- 2009 Emmy: Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour) - Nominee
- 2013 Emmy: Outstanding Voice-Over Performance - Nominee
- 2008 Emmy: Outstanding Animated Program (for programming one hour or more) - Nominee
- 2009 Emmy: Outstanding Voice-Over Performance - Nominee
- 2006 Emmy: Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour) - Nominee
- 2000 Emmy: Outstanding Animated Program (for programming one hour or less) - Nominee
- 2013 Emmy: Outstanding Special Class Program - Nominee
- 2005 Emmy: Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour) - Nominee
- 2012 Oscar: Best Achievement in Music (Original Song) - Nominee
- 2002 Emmy: Outstanding Music and Lyrics - Winner
- Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, Rhode Island, United States (1995)