Scott Van Pelt Celebrity Watchlist
- Offered a walk-on position on the Univ. of Maryland basketball squad by coach Lefty Driesell, but the six-foot-six Van Pelt never played for the Terrapins as Driesell resigned following the 1986 death of Len Bias.
- Emerged as a sports reporter and anchor on The Golf Channel, which Van Pelt joined shortly before its launch in 1995. Station wasn't originally available on cable in his home county in Maryland, forcing his mother to purchase a satellite dish to watch him.
- Anchored SportsCenter after moving to ESPN in 2001, adding work as host of the network's on-site coverage of golf's major championships.
- Developed numerous catch phrases and other humor in writing for his SportsCenter highlights, often inserting Baltimore, Boston and Philadelphia accents when covering each city's teams.
- Talks sports on an afternoon ESPN Radio show with Ryen Russillo, having originally co-hosted with Mike Tirico and hosting a solo hour as well.
- Sam Van Pelt — Father
- Cathie Mathis — Mother
- University of Maryland, College Park, MD (BA in Radio-Television-Film, 1988)
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 6. The Blacklist: The Longevity Initiative
- 7. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage