- Was part of his father and Will Mastin's vaudeville act at 3 years old.
- Never went to school, but was occasionally tutored; received reading lessons from a black sergeant when he was in the Army's Special Services.
- Made film debut at 8 years old when he starred in the 1933 movie short Rufus Jones for President.
- Metronome magazine dubbed him Most Outstanding New Personality in 1946 and awarded him Record of the Year honors for his version of "The Way You Look Tonight."
- Involved in a major car accident in 1954, in which he lost his left eye.
- Appeared on Broadway for the first time in the 1956 musical Mr. Wonderful.
- Was a member of the infamous Rat Pack, headlining Las Vegas shows and starring in films with cohorts Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Joey Bishop and Peter Lawford.
- Had a best-selling autobiography in 1965 with Yes I Can: The Story of Sammy Davis Jr.; wrote another tome Why Me? in 1980 and posthumously published Sammy: The Autobiography of Sammy Davis Jr. in 2000.
- In 1966 had a short-run variety show on NBC called The Sammy Davis Jr. Show.
- Has received numerous awards, including the NAACP's Spingarn Medal in 1968 and a Kennedy Center Honor in 1987, and was inducted into the NAACP's Hall of Fame in 1989.
- 1977, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1989, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1956, Emmy — Best Specialty Act - Single or Group: Nominee
- 1965, Tony — Actor (Musical): Nominee
- Loray White — Ex-wife
- Suzette Davis — Sister
- Manny Davis — Son
- Jeff Davis — Son
- Tracey Davis — Daughter
- Ramona James — Sister
- Mark Sidney Davis — Son
- May Britt — Ex-wife
- Elvira Sanchez — Mother
- Rosa Davis — Grandmother
- Altovise Gore — Wife
- Samuel George Davis Sr. — Father
- Birth Name: Samuel George Davis Jr.
- Birth Place: New York, New York, United States
- Died: May 16, 1990
- Profession: Dancer, Singer, Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead