- Parents were actors.
- The grandson of a sea captain, he ran away at age 15 to work on a freighter.
- Served in the Dutch army, but pretended to be mentally unfit for military service and was discharged.
- Was the spokesperson for Guinness stout for six years.
- In 1995, a Dutch stamp was issued portraying his role as Eric Vonk in Turkish Delight (1973).
- In 2000, founded the Starfish Association, which helps children and pregnant women with HIV/AIDS.
- Favorite film role is Roy Batty in 1982's Blade Runner.
- The title of his 2007 memoir, All Those Moments: Stories of Heroes, Villains, Replicants, and Blade Runners, is taken from part of a speech made by his character in Blade Runner.
- Founded the I've Seen Films International Film Festival in 2007.
- Is an environmental activist.
- Fluent in English, German, French, Italian, Dutch and Frisian languages.
- Enjoys riding motorcycles.
- 1988, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 1995, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- Teunke Hauer — Mother
- Ineke ten Kate — Wife
- Heidi Merz — Ex-wife
- Arend Hauer — Father
- Aysha Hauer — Daughter
- Birth Name: Rutger Oelsen Hauer
- Birth Place: Breukelen, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Birthday: January 23, 1944, Aquarius
- Profession: Actor, Producer, Director, Author
Trending TonightSee all »
Everyone's most recent TV obsession was the hot topic on the Emmys red carpet
By Quest Media Entertainment, Inc.Buy New: $17.95
- Buy New: $19.98