- Nickname was "Johnny" as a child.
- Father passed away of pneumonia when he was 8; shortly after was sent to Girard College in Philadelphia, Pa., a school that provides education and board for orphaned and financially stressed families.
- Enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps as an aviation cadet after graduating from boarding school; received a Purple Heart for his heroic service.
- Made his acting debut in For Men Only (1952), a drama about fraternity hazing.
- Was considered for the part of Ben Casey in the 1960s television drama Ben Casey; the role went to Vince Edwards.
- Was asked to take off his shirt when auditioning for the Gilligan's Island character Professor Roy Hinkley; he refused, but still got the job.
- In 1993, wrote the autobiography Here on Gilligan's Isle, spotlighting his time on the set of the iconic television series that ran for three seasons.
- Outspoken advocate for HIV/AIDS fund-raising.
- Edith Cahoon — Ex-wife
- Kay Cousins Johnson — Wife (deceased)
- David Johnson — Son
- Russell Kennedy Johnson — Father
- Marian Johnson — Mother
- Kim Johnson — Daughter
- Constance Dane — Wife
Season 1, Episode 1
- Birth Name: Russell David Johnson
- Birth Place: Ashley, Pennsylvania, United States
- Birthday: November 10, 1924, Scorpio
- Died: January 16, 2014
- Profession: Actor
- User Rating:
- Your Rating: