Believable as a hero or a cad, this handsome actor should have gotten his big break as one of the buddies in the testosterone-driven indie Swingers, but he was upstaged by his costars, including a young Vince Vaughn. Ultimately his career took off when he embodied an unmotivated employee in the 1999 anticorporate comedy Office Space. Although the film wasn't initially a hit, it became a cult favorite around the time Livingston began popping up on the small screen, including recurring parts as a zealous prosecutor on The Practice and a commitment-phobic novelist on Sex and the City, and his Golden Globe-nominated turn as a real-life paratrooper in the lauded WWII miniseries Band of Brothers. Livingston continues to expand his repertoire, from supporting parts in impressive indie features (Adaptation, The Cooler) and feature films (The Time Travelers Wife) to starring roles on the small screen, including a plum assignment as an FBI hostage negotiator in 2006's Standoff and as chief engineer in the 2009 space thriller Defying Gravity.
- During his senior year at Yale, directed fellow student and Edward Norton in a play.
- While in college, performed at the Williamstown (MA) Theatre Festival, where he met actor George Wendt; after moving to L.A., became Wendt's personal assistant.
- Met future wife Rosemarie DeWitt when the pair co-starred on the short-lived FOX series Standoff.
- Starred in the original, off-Broadway run of Neil LaBute's In a Dark Dark House in 2007.
- His sister Jennifer is a local news anchor, who made national news in 2016 when she responded to a viewer's email critizing her weight.
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2002, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- Nick Livingston — Brother
- Kurt Livingston — Father
- Esperanza Mae Livingston — Daughter
- Rosemarie DeWitt — Wife
- Jennifer Livingston — Sister
- John Livingston — Brother
- Lisa Sheridan — Ex-fiancée
- Linda Livingston — Mother
- Gracie James Livingston — Daughter
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, United States (BA in Theater Studies and English Literature, 1989)