Believable as a hero or a cad, this handsome actor should have gotten his big break as one of the buddies in the testosterone-driven indie Swingers, but he was upstaged by his costars, including a young Vince Vaughn. Ultimately his career took off when he embodied an unmotivated employee in the 1999 anticorporate comedy Office Space. Although the film wasn't initially a hit, it became a cult favorite around the time Livingston began popping up on the small screen, including recurring parts as a zealous prosecutor on The Practice and a commitment-phobic novelist on Sex and the City, and his Golden Globe-nominated turn as a real-life paratrooper in the lauded WWII miniseries Band of Brothers. Livingston continues to expand his repertoire, from supporting parts in impressive indie features (Adaptation, The Cooler) and feature films (The Time Travelers Wife) to starring roles on the small screen, including a plum assignment as an FBI hostage negotiator in 2006's Standoff and as chief engineer in the 2009 space thriller Defying Gravity.
- During his senior year at Yale, directed fellow student and future Oscar nominee Edward Norton in a play.
- While in college, performed at the Williamstown (MA) Theatre Festival, where he met actor George Wendt; after moving to L.A., became Wendt's personal assistant.
- Appeared as Molly Ringwald's beau in the short-lived 1996 ABC series Townies and as Sarah Jessica Parker's love interest who dumped her via Post-it note in Sex and the City.
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2002, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- Gracie James Livingston — Daughter
- Linda Livingston — Mother
- Rosemarie DeWitt — Wife
- Jennifer Livingston — Sister
- John Livingston — Brother
- Lisa Sheridan — Ex-fiancée
- Kurt Livingston — Father
- Nick Livingston — Brother
- Yale University, New Haven, CT (BA in Theater Studies and English Literature, 1989)
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Ronald Joseph Livingston
- Birth Place: Cedar Rapids, IA
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Here's how everything changed in "Chapter 6"