- Father, Charles, was appointed to replace assassinated U.S. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy in 1968.
- Captained the football, basketball and baseball teams in high school, but an injury kept him from playing football at Washington & Jefferson College.
- Worked as a bartender in Washington, PA, during college.
- Began his career with a yearlong internship in the NFL's public relations department, followed by a stint with the New York Jets' promotions department.
- Named the NFL's ninth commissioner after the owners' fifth balloting session; Goodell prevailed 23-8 over the league's outside counsel, Gregg Levy.
- Established a hard line on player behavior with a new personal-conduct policy that was enforced through the 2007 suspensions of Chris Henry, Adam Jones, Terry Johnson and Michael Vick.
- Charles Goodell — Father
- Jane Skinner — Wife
- Jean Rice Goodell — Mother
- Patricia Goldman — Stepmother
- Michael C.E. Goodell — Brother
- Barbara House — Aunt
- Sarah Wheeler — Aunt
- Robert Rice — Uncle
- Timothy Bartlett Goodell — Brother
- Nancy Hunt — Aunt
- Theodore Rice — Uncle
- Charles Goodell — Grandfather
- Jeffrey H. Goodell — Brother
- William Rice Goodell — Brother
- Washington & Jefferson College, Washington, PA (BS in Economics, 1981)
- Birth Place: Jamestown, NY
- Profession: NFL commissioner
Trending TonightSee all »
Carl might be on his way to the Big Pudding Can in the Sky
By Charlie Rose, Inc.Buy New: $24.95