- Between 1929 and 1934, he made five films with Norma Shearer.
- In 1935, became first president of the Screen Actors Guild.
- Was a lieutenant commander in the Navy during World War II.
- Got his start directing in 1945 when John Ford became ill during the production of They Were Expendable and he oversaw the shooting of the final scenes.
- Directed and starred in 1946's Lady in the Lake; shot the film in a "first person" perspective in which his character was never seen except in a reflection in a mirror or window.
- Hosted the 1948 Academy Awards.
- In the late '40s, had a number of short stories published in popular magazines.
- Coached presidential candidate Dwight D. Eisenhower for his television and public-speaking appearances.
- When Eisenhower became president in 1952, Montgomery was named television adviser and became the first show-business professional to occupy an office in the White House.
- In 1959, he and James Cagney formed Cagney-Montgomery Productions. Their first film was The Gallant Hours, a 1960 biopic starring Cagney and featuring both Cagney and Montgomery's sons had small roles.
- He, daughter Elizabeth and son Robert Jr. all died of cancer.
- 1937, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1941, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1952, Emmy — Best Actor: Nominee
- 1955, Tony — Director: Winner
- Elizabeth Montgomery — Daughter
- Robert Montgomery Jr. — Son
- Elizabeth Allen — Ex-wife
- Martha Bryan Montgomery — Daughter
- Elizabeth Grant Harkness — Wife
- Donald Montgomery — Brother
- Mary Weed Montgomery — Mother
- Henry Montgomery Sr. — Father
- Birth Name: Henry Montgomery Jr.
- Birth Place: Fishkill Landing, New York, United States
- Birthday: May 21, 1904, Taurus
- Died: September 27, 1981
- Profession: Actor, Director, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
It doesn't depend on a boyfriend
By British Library, Historical Print EditionsBuy New: $21.75
Selections from the Poetical Works of Robert Montgomery with Introductory Remarks, and an Appendix, Containing Extracts from Satires, Notes, &C
By Leopold Classic LibraryBuy New: $18.95
By The British LibraryBuy New: $16.99