Robert Carlyle Celebrity Watchlist
- After his mother left the family when Carlyle was 4 years old, he and his father frequently moved, living in various communes.
- Dropped out of school at the age of 16, but was inspired to study acting after reading Arthur Miller's The Crucible when he was 21.
- Made professional stage debut as Oberon in a production of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Landed his first lead film role with Ken Loach's 1990 dramedy Riff-Raff; worked with the director again on 1996's Carla's Song.
- In 1991, cofounded, with actors Caroline Patterson and Stuart Davies, the award-winning Raindog theater company, named for one of Carlyle's favorite albums: Tom Waits' Rain Dogs; has directed the group's productions of Macbeth and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, among others.
- Won Best Actor at the BAFTAs and British Actor of the Year at the London Film Critics Awards and was nominated for a Golden Satellite Award, all for his role in 1997's The Full Monty.
- Voiced the characters Gabriel Belmont and Count Dracula on the 2010 video game Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.
- 1997, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actor in a Leading Role: Winner
- 1997, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- Caroline Patterson — Ex-significant Other
- Pearce Joseph Carlyle — Son
- Anastasia Shirley — Wife
- Ava Carlyle — Daughter
- Liz McDonald — Mother
- Harvey Carlyle — Son
- Joseph Carlyle — Father
- Attended Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow, Scotland
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 6. Dancing With The Stars: Week 1
- 7. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage