Although this small-screen player began studying acting in the early '80s, he struggled for almost a decade before shooting to stardom in 1990 as a cranky New Yorker practicing medicine in Alaska on the quirky dramedy Northern Exposure
, for which he earned three Golden Globe nominations and two Emmy nominations. Previously, Morrow appeared primarily on stage and cofounded the prestigious off-Broadway theater company Naked Angels. Despite his success on Northern Exposure
, he left the show in its fifth season to pursue big-screen roles, but apart from a pivotal role in the Oscar-nominated 1994 film Quiz Show
, cinematic success was marginal. He returned to series television in 2002 as an ex-con on the short-lived Street Time
. The role helped him overcome his nebbishy typecasting, and in 2005 he signed on to NUMB3RS
as an FBI agent. Morrow also has a burgeoning career behind the camera, creating a production company called Bits and Pieces Production Company, helming various television episodes and directing the independent feature Maze
, which he also wrote, co-produced and starred in. Away from the cameras, he enjoys skiing. Rob Morrow Fast Facts:
- Attended and studied acting at the renowned HB Studio in New York.
- Helped found the New York City acting troupe Naked Angels in 1986.
- "I did every job in my struggling days," he told People magazine in 2005. "One was delivering balloons. That was a nightmare. You'd go through revolving doors and they'd pop." Also, he said, "I was a bartender, but didn't know how to bartend. People would ask for a Grasshopper, and I'd just give them something [else]. If you put enough alcohol in, nobody cares."
- On the Board of Directors of Project ALS.
- Independent film Maze (2000), which he wrote, directed and co-produced, won the AFI Festival New Directions Award - Special Mention and honorable mention at the San Jose Film Festival.
- Founded the production company Bits and Pieces Production Company.
- Directed various TV episodes, including Oz, Street Time, Joan of Arcadia and NUMB3RS.
- Rob Morrow Relationships:
- Murray Morrow - Father
- Debbon Ayer - Wife
- Diane Morrow - Mother
- Leslie Urdang - Ex-significant Other
- Tu Simone Morrow - Daughter
- Carrie Morrow - Sister
- Rob Morrow Awards:
- 1993 Emmy: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series - Nominee
- 1992 Emmy: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series - Nominee
- 1992 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama - Nominee
- 1993 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama - Nominee
- 1994 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama - Nominee
- 1994 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series - Nominee