- Attended college on a gymnastics scholarship.
- Studied philosophy and drama in college before dropping out to pursue acting.
- Three of his early star-making roles, in Days of Heaven (1978), American Gigolo (1980) and An Officer and a Gentleman (1982), were all roles originally turned down by John Travolta.
- Was the first man to appear on the cover of Vogue, in 1992 with then-wife Cindy Crawford.
- Named by People Magazine as Sexiest Man Alive in 1999.
- A devout Buddhist, he co-founded the Tibet House, a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of Tibetan culture.
- Awarded Harvard University's Hasty Pudding Man of the Year in 2006. The title is given to performers who have made lasting contributions in the entertainment field.
- Opened the Bedford Post Inn in Bedford, NY, with wife Carey Lowell and Russell Hernandez in 2007.
- Contributed writings to the 2009 book We Are One: A Celebration of Tribal Peoples.
- Is an active philanthropist and social activist who supports multiple HIV/AIDS charities and humanitarian organizations.
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2009, Critics' Choice Awards — Joel Siegel Award: Winner
- 2015, Taormina Film Fest — Taormina Arte Award: Winner
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2013, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1983, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1991, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 2003, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Winner
- 2003, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Winner
- 1994, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- 2008, Independent Spirit Awards — Robert Altman Award: Winner
- Susan Gere — Sister
- Homer Gere — Father
- Joanne Gere — Sister
- Laura Gere — Sister
- Cindy Crawford — Ex-wife
- David Gere — Brother
- Dolores Gere — Mother
- Homer James Jigme Gere — Son
- Carey Lowell — Ex-wife
- Attended University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, United States
- Birth Name: Richard Tiffany Gere
- Birth Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Profession: Actor, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead
By Paramount CatalogBuy New: $13.99
A Fever of the Mad: A Movie Publicist Works with Francis Coppola, Elaine May, John Cassavetes, Peter Falk, and Richard Gere and Survives to Tell the...
By CreateSpace Independent Publishing PlatformBuy New: $15.95
- Buy New: $18.95