- Lifelong Mexican citizen was a founder and board member for Nosotros, an advocacy group started in 1970 to improve the image of Latinos in the entertainment industry.
- His frequent appearances as a guest on The Loretta Young Show were a family affair--he was married to the star's youngest sister.
- Suffered a back injury during a fall from a horse while filming the western Across the Wide Missouri (1951) with Clark Gable, which caused a limp he disguised in future roles.
- His villainous titular character in the feature film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan debuted in a 1967 episode of the sci-fi series.
- In a 1975 TV commercial, became a memorable spokesman for the Chrysler Cordoba and spawned a catchphrase of sorts when he touted the "soft Corinthian leather" of the car's interior.
- Autobiography, Reflections: A Life in Two Worlds, was published in 1980.
- A devout Catholic, became a Knight Commander of the Order of St. Gregory the Great in 1998, by order of Pope John Paul II.
- Filmmaker Robert Rodriguez idolized him and created the role of a grandfather for him in the cast of Spy Kids 2 (2002) and Spy Kids 3-D (2003).
- 1993, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Life Achievement Award: Winner
- 1958, Tony — Actor (Musical): Nominee
- 1978, Emmy — Outstanding Single Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Comedy or Drama Series: Winner
- Carlos Montalban — Brother
- Anita Smith — Daughter
- Victor Montalban — Son
- Laura Montalban — Daughter
- Mark Montalban — Son
- Georgiana Young — Wife (deceased)
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Ricardo Gonzalo Pedro Montalbán y Merino
- Birth Place: Mexico City, Mexico
- Birthday: November 25, 1920, Sagittarius
- Died: January 14, 2009
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Everyone's most recent TV obsession was the hot topic on the Emmys red carpet