- His first acting role was in elementary school, where he played a teddy bear in a toy shop.
- Among his high-school classmates were adult-film star Ron Jeremy and former CIA director George Tenet. While VelJohnson had a starring role in the class production of The King and I, Jeremy played piano in the orchestra.
- Was the only Family Matters cast member to appear in every episode of the series, which was a spinoff of the sitcom Perfect Strangers.
- In 1993, he was awarded the inaugural Spirit Award for his volunteer work with the Catholic Big Brothers organization.
- Learned the long-running Family Matters was canceled when he received a call to clean out his dressing room.
- Portrayed Sgt. Al Powell in the first two Die Hard films, provided the character's voice in the 2002 video game Die Hard: Vendetta and reprised the role in the 2008 "Chuck Versus Santa Claus" episode of NBC's Chuck.
- Wrote and starred in the 2005 film short Sunday Evening Haircut, about a couple whose marriage is troubled because he feels his wife is overly religious.
- Dan Johnson — Father
- Eva Riley — Mother
- John Riley — Stepfather
- Barry VelJohnson — Brother
- New York University, New York, New York, United States (BA in Theater)
- Long Island Institute of Music and Arts, New York
- Birth Name: Reginald Vel Johnson
- Birth Place: Queens, New York, United States
- Profession: Actor, Writer
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead