- Parents split when he was 5.
- Moved frequently as a child as his single mom sought work to support and provide shelter for him and his five siblings.
- Only allowed to watch public TV as a youngster.
- Left home after high school and migrated to Maine.
- Worked as a carpenter and in a shoe factory prior to taking up music.
- Inspired to become a singer-songwriter by the Stephen Stills song "Treetop Flyer," which he heard on the radio early one morning.
- Once built a cabin for himself, his wife and children to live in. It had no electricity or running water.
- Enjoys reading. Favorite authors include Annie Dillard, Ursula K. Le Guin and Peter Kerry.
- 2010, Grammy — Best Contemporary Folk Album: Winner
- Sarah A. Sousa — Wife
- Birth Name: RayCharles J. LaMontagne
- Birth Place: Nashua, NH
- Profession: Singer-songwriter
Trending TonightSee all »
Here's how everything changed in "Chapter 6"