- Trained to be a dancer until she was sidelined by a knee injury.
- Breakthrough role was as high schooler Linda in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982).
- Met husband Kevin Kline when they both auditioned for parts in The Big Chill (1983). The two appeared together in the 2001 film The Anniversary Party, along with their children Owen and Greta.
- Gave up the role of the bride in the 1991 remake of Father of the Bride (which later went to Kimberly Williams) after becoming pregnant.
- Largely retired from acting in 1994 to concentrate on her family.
- The subject of the 2001 song "Phoebe Cates" by Fenix TX.
- Opened the Blue Tree gift boutique in Manhattan in 2005.
- Gil Cates Jr. — Cousin
- Valerie — Sister
- Alexandra — Sister
- Phillip — Brother
- Gilbert Cates — Uncle
- Joseph Cates — Father
- Lily Cates — Mother
- Kevin Kline — Husband
- Owen Kline — Son
- Greta Kline — Daughter
- Birth Name: Phoebe Belle Katz
- Birth Place: New York, NY
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Keep 'em coming