- Grew up in a strict Pentecostal home and wasn't allowed to watch movies or TV or read comics; saw his first film when he was 17.
- Won two North Dakota state basketball championships in high school.
- Drafted by the New York Knicks in the second round (17th overall) of the 1967 NBA Draft; spinal-fusion surgery caused him to miss the Knicks' 1970 NBA Championship, but he helped win the title for New York as a backup in 1973.
- Played for the Knicks until 1978, when he joined the New Jersey Nets as a player-assistant coach.
- Played in the NBA for 13 years and retired following the 1979-80 season.
- Coached the Albany Patroons to the 1984 Continental Basketball Association Championship.
- Became an assistant coach with the Chicago Bulls in 1987; promoted to head coach in 1989 and went on to win six titles with the team.
- In 1992, won the Theodore Roosevelt Rough Rider award, awarded by the governor to current or former North Dakota residents who have brought honor to the state.
- Named NBA Coach of the Year in 1996.
- Joined the Los Angeles Lakers in 1999 as head coach and won five NBA titles with the team.
- First coach to ever win 11 NBA titles and the first to win three in a row at three different times (1991-93, 1996-98 and 2000-02).
- Inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2007.
- Is the author of several books on basketball, including Sacred Hoops, More Than a Game and The Last Season.
- Retired from coaching following the 2010-11 NBA season.
- Elisabeth Jackson — Mother
- Charles Jackson — Father
- Elizabeth Jackson — Daughter
- Jeanie Buss — Fiancée
- Chelsea Jackson — Daughter
- Ben Jackson — Son
- Joe Jackson — Brother
- June Jackson — Ex-wife
- Brooke Jackson — Daughter
- Charley Jackson — Son
- Maxine Jackson — Ex-wife
- University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND (BA in Religion, Psychology and Philosophy, 1967)
- Birth Name: Philip Douglas Jackson
- Birth Place: Deer Lodge, MT
- Birthday: September 17, 1945, Virgo
- Profession: Former NBA coach, Author
Trending TonightSee all »
We challenged Chris Geere, Aya Cash, Kether Donohue and Desmin Borges to draw 45-second portraits of each other and the results were... interesting
By Charlie Rose, LLC.Buy New: $19.99
By Sepia BooksBuy New: $19.99
Charlie Rose with Fernando Ferrer, Richard Riley, Meredith Brokaw, Deborah Wright &Kenneth Cole; Phil Jackson (April 10, 1997)
By Charlie RoseBuy New: $24.95