- Began his broadcasting career in radio, working as a station news director.
- His talk show premiered in Dayton, OH, in 1967 and went national three years later.
- Most frequent guest was consumer advocate Ralph Nader, who appeared on the show 34 times between 1968 and '96.
- Met second wife Marlo Thomas when she was a guest on his show in 1977.
- Penned the autobiography Donahue: My Own Story in 1980 and the book The Human Animal in 1985.
- Appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2010 with fellow talkers Sally Jessy Raphael, Geraldo Rivera, Ricki Lake and Montel Williams.
- Has won 20 Daytime Emmys, including one for lifetime achievement.
- 2008, Producers Guild Awards — Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1980, Peabody — Personal Award: Winner
- Mary Rose Donahue — Daughter
- Daniel Donahue — Son
- Phillip Donahue — Father
- Kevin Donahue — Son
- Margaret Mary Cooney — Ex-wife
- Marlo Thomas — Wife
- Catherine McClory Donahue — Mother
- Jim Donahue — Son
- Michael Donahue — Son
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, United States (BBA, 1957)
- Birth Name: Phillip John Donahue
- Birth Place: Cleveland, Ohio, United States
- Profession: Talk-show host
Trending TonightSee all »
The Bones series finale!