- Shot himself–accidentally, by most accounts–in the stomach at age 10; years later, while on an acid trip with John Lennon, told the Beatle, "I know what it's like to be dead," which reportedly inspired the Revolver song "She Said She Said."
- Was admitted to the University of Omaha at the age of 17 without finishing high school.
- During his stint in college in Nebraska, starred in an Omaha Playhouse production of Harvey.
- In 1961, made his Broadway debut in Blood, Sweat and Stanley Poole.
- An avid sailor, bought an 82-foot ketch called Tatoosh with the profits from Easy Rider.
- Ex-wife Portia Rebecca Crockett is a direct descendant of frontier hero Davy Crockett.
- Released a candid autobiography, Don't Tell Dad: A Memoir, in 1998.
- Frequently lectures on film and media near his ranch at Montana State University.
- 1964, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actor: Nominee
- 1998, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Winner
- 2000, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 1999, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1999, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 1969, Oscar — Best Writing (Story and Screenplay--based on material not previously published or produced): Nominee
- 2007, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1999, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nominee
- 1998, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Nominee
- 1970, Writers Guild Awards — Original Drama: Nominee
- 1997, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1997, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- Jane Fonda — Sister
- Amy Fonda — Half Sister
- Susan Brewer — Ex-wife
- Bridget Fonda — Daughter
- Frances Seymour Brokaw Fonda — Mother
- Frances Brokaw — Half Sister
- Portia Rebecca Crockett — Ex-wife
- Justin Fonda — Son
- Henry Fonda — Father
- Troy Garity — Nephew
- Parky DeVogelaere — Wife
- Attended University of Omaha, Omaha, NE
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Peter Henry Fonda
- Birth Place: New York, NY
- Birthday: February 23, 1940, Pisces
- Profession: Actor, Writer, Director, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
Get to know the BAU's new agent