- First acted as a teen in school and church plays.
- Enlisted in the Marines in 1946 and played in the Marine Corps Band.
- Won a Best Actor Drama Desk award in 1955 as the lead in an off-Broadway production of Macbeth.
- Rose to fame as eldest son Adam Cartwright on the long-running TV western Bonanza. Was unhappy with his character's development and left the show after the sixth season.
- Attended the historic 1965 Voting Rights March in Selma, AL, with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Returned to episodic TV in 1979 playing the title character in Trapper John, M.D., taking over a role made famous by Wayne Rogers on the show M*A*S*H.
- Was the host and narrator of FBI: The Untold Stories.
- Died after a two-year battle with pancreatic cancer.
- 1981, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- P.E. Roberts — Father
- Betty Roberts — Mother
- Kara Knack — Ex-wife
- Eleanor Criswell — Wife
- Jonathan Christopher Roberts — Son
- Judith Anna LeBreque — Ex-wife
- Vera Mowry — Ex-wife
- Attended Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA; attended University of Maryland, College Park, MD
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Pernell Elvin Roberts
- Birth Place: Waycross, GA
- Died: January 24, 2010
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead