This former pop princess started out as a Laker Girl before becoming an Emmy-winning choreographer for performers (Janet Jackson), movies (Coming to America) and TV series (The Tracey Ullman Show). Abdul stepped into the spotlight in 1988 with her first album, Forever Your Girl, which spawned a succession of hit singles and made her a familiar face on MTV. Following disappointing sales of her 1995 album Head Over Heels, Abdul's career began to flag, but was revived in 2002 when she signed on as a judge for the televised singing competition American Idol. Her touchy-feely presence on the massively popular series helped Abdul weather a handful of scandals, including a hit-and-run accident and allegations she had an affair with a contestant. In 2009, Abdul announced she would not be returning for the ninth season of Idol, and her slot on the judging panel was subsequently filled by talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres.
- Video for her 1991 single "Rush, Rush" was directed by George Lucas and featured Keanu Reeves.
- Served as Val Kilmer's choreographer for his performance as Jim Morrison in Oliver Stone's The Doors (1991).
- Released an exercise video in 1995 titled Paula Abdul's Get Up and Dance!
- Provided the voice for the character Watch in the animated movie Robots (2005).
- Teamed up with American Idol judge Randy Jackson in 2005 to create the instructional DVD Ultimate Voice Coach---Learn to Sing Like a Star!
- Made a rare big-screen appearance in 2009, when she appeared in Sasha Baron Cohen's mockumentary Brüno.
- 1990, Emmy — Outstanding Achievement in Choreography: Winner
- 2003, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 1990, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Female Musical Performer: Winner
- 1990, Grammy — Best Music Video - Short Form: Winner
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 1989, Emmy — Outstanding Achievement in Choreography: Winner
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 1991, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Female Musical Performer: Winner
- 1988, Emmy — Outstanding Achievement in Choreography: Nominee
- Emilio Estevez — Ex-husband
- Jeff Bratton — Ex-significant Other
- Wendy Abdul — Sister
- Harry Abdul — Father
- Lorraine Abdul — Mother
- Brad Beckerman — Ex-husband
- J.T. Torregiani — Ex-significant Other
- Attended California State University, Northridge, CA
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Paula Julie Abdul
- Birth Place: San Fernando, CA
- Birthday: June 19, 1962, Gemini
- Profession: Singer, Dancer, Choreographer, Actor, TV personality
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Wayward Pines: Do Not Discuss Your Life Before
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 6. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 7. The Voice: Live Finale, Part 2