A bespectacled carpenter who came to prominence as a dedicated designer on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, this Pennsylvania native began his career as a set builder, working for performance venues like the Pittsburgh Playhouse, the Dance Theatre of Harlem and Carnegie Hall. While living in New York, he did some work as an actor on stage, and he continued to build sets. DiMeo realized his true calling when he began renovating lofts and brownstones, including the landmark brownstone of Aaron Burr. In the '90s, he moved to Los Angeles and racked up an impressive client roster (Madonna, George Hamilton, Glenn Close) before auditioning for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. He walked out of his initial audition after he heard about the seven-day deadlines for builds, but ABC loved him and called him back the next day. Over the years, the show's emotional stories have earned DiMeo a reputation for shedding many tears, and he readily admits that he cries easily. He's also earned a reputation for doing great work on children's rooms, though renovating kitchens is his favorite task. When he doesn't have a power tool in his hand, then he'll probably be gripping an instrument, as the music-loving DiMeo can often be found jamming with a band made up of crew members from Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.
- Is the youngest of five children.
- Family's house burned down when he was 5. He and his father worked to reconstruct it, sparking his love of home renovations.
- Served as stage manager for the American Dance Ensemble.
- Has acted on stage and on television.
- Renovated the landmark brownstone of Aaron Burr.
- Has renovated celebrity homes, including those of Madonna, George Hamilton and Glenn Close.
- Walked out of his initial audition for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (upon hearing about the seven-day deadlines for builds).
- Laid groundwork for the Loft Living movement in New York City and continued it after moving to Los Angeles.
- Hosted the 2004 A&E special At Home With the Brave, which helped improve the homes of soldiers returning from Iraq.
- The band saw is his favorite power tool, and the kitchen is his favorite room to design.
- Hobbies include playing in a band with the crew from Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.
- Has a reputation for often breaking into tears on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and admits that he cries easily.
- Is a fan of dumpster diving (rooting through trash to find resuable materials and furniture).
- Jean DiMeo — Mother
- Kelly DiMeo — Wife
- Jack DiMeo — Father
- Point Park College, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States (BA in Theater Arts)
- Birth Place: Media, Pennsylvania, United States
- Profession: Carpenter, Reality-show cast member
Trending TonightSee all »
The 100 and more