- Began acting at age 8 when her brother's talent managers spotted her.
- First credited screen role was in 1958's The Goddess.
- Practiced walking around blindfolded to prepare for the role of Helen Keller on Broadway in The Miracle Worker; reprised the role for the 1962 film version and won an Oscar.
- In 1963, became the youngest person to have a TV show named after her (The Patty Duke Show).
- Has appeared in more than 70 TV movies, including a 1979 version of The Miracle Worker in which she played Annie Sullivan.
- Became the second woman elected president of the Screen Actors Guild in 1985.
- Published the frank autobiography Call Me Anna in 1987 and revealed she was manic depressive; authored A Brilliant Madness: Living With Manic Depressive Illness in 1992.
- Returned to Broadway in the 2002 revival of Oklahoma!
- Was an advocate for mental-health issues.
- 1981, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Special: Nominee
- 1962, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 1970, Emmy — Outstanding Single Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Winner
- 1970, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Winner
- 1964, Emmy — Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Series: Nominee
- 1978, Emmy — Outstanding Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Drama or Comedy Special: Nominee
- 1981, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Achievement - Children's Programming: Nominee
- 1984, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Special: Nominee
- 1983, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Female Performer in a New TV Program: Winner
- 1980, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or a Special: Winner
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series: Winner
- 1978, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress for a Single Appearance in a Drama or Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1966, Golden Globe — Actress in a Television Series: Nominee
- 1963, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1983, Genie Awards — Best Performance by a Foreign Actress: Nominee
- 1999, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1963, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actress: Winner
- Harry Falk — Ex-husband
- John Astin — Ex-husband
- Michael Pearce — Husband
- Raymond Duke — Brother
- Charlene Pearce — Stepdaughter
- Francis Duke — Mother
- Sean Astin — Son
- Michael Tell — Ex-husband
- Carol Duke — Sister
- Raelene Pearce — Stepdaughter
- John Patrick Duke — Father
- Kevin Pearce — Son
- Desi Arnaz Jr. — Ex-significant Other
- Mackenzie Astin — Son
- Birth Name: Anna Marie Duke
- Birth Place: Queens, New York, United States
- Birthday: December 14, 1946, Sagittarius
- Died: March 29, 2016
- Profession: Actor, Author
Trending TonightSee all »
Grey's Anatomy is obviously a big influence on Tay Tay