- Worked briefly at a toy factory after graduating high school.
- Moved to New York to pursue an artistic career in 1967.
- Costarred with Sam Shepard in his autobiographical play Cowboy Mouth in 1971.
- Wrote as a music journalist for Creem and Rolling Stone magazines in the 1970s.
- Was honored with the title of Commander of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French Ministry of Culture in 2005.
- Won the 2010 National Book Award for her memoir, Just Kids.
- 2015, Golden Globe — Best Original Song - Motion Picture: Nominee
- Robert Mapplethorpe — Ex-significant Other
- Linda Smith — Sister
- Todd Smith — Brother
- Jesse Smith — Daughter
- Beverly Smith — Mother
- Grant Smith — Father
- Fred "Sonic" Smith — Husband (deceased)
- Jackson Smith — Son
- Attended Rowan University, Glassboro, New Jersey, United States
- Birth Name: Patricia Lee Smith
- Birth Place: Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Birthday: December 30, 1946, Capricorn
- Profession: Musician, Poet
Trending TonightSee all »
Everyone's most recent TV obsession was the hot topic on the Emmys red carpet