- Studied acting and stagecraft at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in 1957 and learned to speak without his native Yorkshire accent.
- Made his Broadway debut in 1971 in Peter Brook's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, playing Snout.
- While playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation, was astonished to learn he'd been dubbed Sexiest Man on TV in a TV GUIDE readers poll in 1992, and Most Bodacious Man on TV the following year.
- Voiced Number One, the leader of the ancient and secret order of the Stonecutters, in a memorable 1995 episode of The Simpsons.
- Received a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame in 1996.
- After portraying Professor Xavier in X-Men (2000), X2: X-Men United (2003), and X-Men: The Last Stand (2006), he decided to return to Britain and pursue theater roles.
- Was made a member of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2001.
- In 2007, he debuted in the title role of Macbeth in London, and his acclaimed performance brought the production to a sold-out run on Broadway the next year.
- In 2008, he continued his interest in Shakespearean roles, signing on to play Claudius in a Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet.
- Was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2010.
- 1998, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Made for Television Movie: Nominee
- 1999, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2005, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1995, Grammy — Best Spoken Word Album For Children: Winner
- 2008, Tony — Actor (Play): Nominee
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 1999, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nominee
- 1994, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2009, Olivier Awards — Best Performance in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 1994, Olivier Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- 2010, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nominee
- 2008, Olivier Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- Alfred Stewart — Father
- Sophie Alexandra Falconer Stewart — Daughter
- Gladys Stewart — Mother
- Sheila Falconer — Ex-wife
- Daniel Stewart — Son
- Wendy Neuss — Ex-wife
- Sunny Ozell — Wife
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Place: Mirfield, Yorkshire, England
- Birthday: July 13, 1940, Cancer
- Profession: Actor, Producer
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
You can't make this up
By IlluminationsBuy New: $27.95
By Charlie Rose, Inc.Buy New: $25.36
By Charlie Rose, Inc.Buy New: $24.95