Pat Morita Celebrity Watchlist
- Parents were migrant fruit pickers from Japan.
- Developed spinal tuberculosis at age 2 and spent most of the next nine years in hospitals; was reportedly told he would never walk.
- After his release from the hospitals and in recovery from his illness, his family was sent to an internment camp in Arizona during World War II.
- After the war, family opened a restaurant where he began doing comedy bits for patrons.
- While performing stand-up comedy in nightclubs, was discovered by comedian Redd Foxx, which eventually led to several appearances on Sanford and Son as the character Ah Chew.
- Feature-film debut was in Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967).
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1995.
- 1984, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1986, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- 1986, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1985, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Kathleen Yamachi — Ex-wife
- Yukiye Kitahara — Ex-wife
- Tia Morita — Daughter
- Evelyn Guerrero — Wife
- Erin Rodda — Daughter
- Aly Morita — Daughter
Next On TVSee all »
Trending TonightSee all »
By Brittanica VideoBuy New: $24.98
Imagine That! Great Moments & People in History, Volume 3: Arte Johnson as Buffalo Bill and Pat Morita as Paul RevereBuy New: $1.97
By SportamericaBuy New: $19.95
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 6. Dancing With The Stars: Week 1
- 7. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage