This dashing leading man started out onstage in his native Britain but had only a handful of TV and film roles under his belt when he landed the career-making role of a butt-kicking elf in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Sporting a blond wig and chiseled cheekbones, Bloom became an overnight pretty-boy sensation. He continued to catch viewers' eyes in the surprise 2003 blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean. At this point, the handsome actor seemed poised to become the Next Big Thing. However, his earlier successes were in ensemble films and he stumbled when required to carry a film alone (the action flop Kingdom of Heaven and the middling romantic comedy Elizabethtown). But Bloom remained in the spotlight, thanks to his winning personality, on-again off-again romance with starlet Kate Bosworth, followed by a relationship with model Miranda Kerr, and two high-profile (and high-grossing) Pirates sequels. In 2007, he returned to his stage roots by starring in a London stage revival of the drama In Celebration, and, later that decade, became involved in social and charity work, including taking on a UNICEF goodwill ambassadorship.
- Despite auditioning for the smaller part of Faramir, was cast as Legolas Greenleaf in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
- Talking about an injury sustained while filming The Lord of the Rings trilogy, admitted in a 2001 Interview magazine article that he was, "rather accident-prone, I have to admit. I've broken my back, my ribs, my nose, both my legs, my arm, my wrist, a finger and a toe, and I've cracked my skull three times."
- Is influenced by the philosophies of Nichiren Buddhism.
- While filming Kingdom of Heaven in Spain, hired Brad Pitt's security guard.
- His mainstream fame was greatly bolstered by his role as blacksmith Will Turner in the popular Johnny Depp Pirates of the Caribbean franchise: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003); Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006); Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007).
- Took a breather from pop stardom in 2007 by starring in a London stage revival of the 1969 drama In Celebration.
- Took another interesting detour the same year by taking part in a Japanese TV commercial.
- He is active in charity work and social causes: In 2009, for instance, he became a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and also raised money to assist victims of Australian brush fires.
- 2003, Australian Film Institute Awards — Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 2004, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Winner
- 2003, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2001, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Sonia Bloom — Mother
- Harry Bloom — Stepfather
- Colin Stone — Father
- Kate Bosworth — Ex-significant Other
- Samantha Bloom — Sister
- Flynn C.B.C. Bloom — Son
- Miranda Kerr — Wife (separated)
- Katy Perry — Significant Other
- British American Drama Academy, London, England (1995); Guildhall School of Music & Drama, London, England (1999)
- Birth Name: Orlando Jonathan Blanchard Bloom
- Birth Place: Canterbury, England
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
He demonstrates the bukkehorn, the tagelharpa and the lyre
By Plexus PublishingBuy New: $16.95
By Icon PressBuy New: $7.95