This dashing leading man started out onstage in his native Britain but had only a handful of TV and film roles under his belt when he landed the career-making role of a butt-kicking elf in The Lord of the Rings
trilogy. Sporting a blond wig and chiseled cheekbones, Bloom became an overnight pretty-boy sensation. He continued to catch viewers' eyes in the surprise 2003 blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean
. At this point, the handsome actor seemed poised to become the Next Big Thing. However, his earlier successes were in ensemble films and he stumbled when required to carry a film alone (the action flop Kingdom of Heaven
and the middling romantic comedy Elizabethtown
). But Bloom remained in the spotlight, thanks to his winning personality, on-again off-again romance with starlet Kate Bosworth, followed by a relationship with model Miranda Kerr, and two high-profile (and high-grossing) Pirates
sequels. In 2007, he returned to his stage roots by starring in a London stage revival of the drama In Celebration
, and, later that decade, became involved in social and charity work, including taking on a UNICEF goodwill ambassadorship.Orlando Bloom Fast Facts:
- Despite auditioning for the smaller part of Faramir, was cast as Legolas Greenleaf in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
- Talking about an injury sustained while filming The Lord of the Rings trilogy, admitted in a 2001 Interview magazine article that he was, "rather accident-prone, I have to admit. I've broken my back, my ribs, my nose, both my legs, my arm, my wrist, a finger and a toe, and I've cracked my skull three times."
- Is influenced by the philosophies of Nichiren Buddhism.
- While filming Kingdom of Heaven in Spain, hired Brad Pitt's security guard.
- His mainstream fame was greatly bolstered by his role as blacksmith Will Turner in the popular Johnny Depp Pirates of the Caribbean franchise: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003); Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006); Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007).
- Took a breather from pop stardom in 2007 by starring in a London stage revival of the 1969 drama In Celebration.
- Took another interesting detour the same year by taking part in a Japanese TV commercial.
- He is active in charity work and social causes: In 2009, for instance, he became a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and also raised money to assist victims of Australian brush fires.
- Orlando Bloom Relationships:
- Sonia Bloom - Mother
- Harry Bloom - Stepfather
- Colin Stone - Father
- Kate Bosworth - Ex-significant Other
- Samantha Bloom - Sister
- Miranda Kerr - Wife (separated)
- Flynn C.B.C. Bloom - Son
- Orlando Bloom Awards:
- 2003 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Winner
- 2001 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2002 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2003 Australian Film Institute Awards: Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Nominee
- British American Drama Academy, London, England (1995); Guildhall School of Music & Drama, London, England (1999)