This dashing leading man started out onstage in his native Britain but had only a handful of TV and film roles under his belt when he landed the career-making role of a butt-kicking elf in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Sporting a blond wig and chiseled cheekbones, Bloom became an overnight pretty-boy sensation. He continued to catch viewers' eyes in the surprise 2003 blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean. At this point, the handsome actor seemed poised to become the Next Big Thing. However, his earlier successes were in ensemble films and he stumbled when required to carry a film alone (the action flop Kingdom of Heaven and the middling romantic comedy Elizabethtown). But Bloom remained in the spotlight, thanks to his winning personality, on-again off-again romance with starlet Kate Bosworth, followed by a relationship with model Miranda Kerr, and two high-profile (and high-grossing) Pirates sequels. In 2007, he returned to his stage roots by starring in a London stage revival of the drama In Celebration, and, later that decade, became involved in social and charity work, including taking on a UNICEF goodwill ambassadorship.
- Despite auditioning for the smaller part of Faramir, was cast as Legolas Greenleaf in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
- He and the other eight actors comprising the Fellowship of the Ring got matching tattoos of the Elvish word for "nine" while filming The Lord of the Rings in New Zealand.
- Appointed a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 2009.
- House was broken into in 2009; the event was shown in the 2013 film The Bling Ring.
- Made his Broadway debut in the 2013 revival of Romeo and Juliet, opposite Condola Rashad as Juliet.
- Received the BAFTA Britannia Humanitarian Award in 2015.
- Is influenced by the philosophies of Nichiren Buddhism.
- 2003, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2001, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2004, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Winner
- 2003, Australian Film Institute Awards — Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- Colin Stone — Father
- Kate Bosworth — Ex-significant Other
- Samantha Bloom — Sister
- Harry Bloom — Stepfather
- Sonia Bloom — Mother
- Miranda Kerr — Wife (separated)
- Katy Perry — Ex-significant Other
- Flynn C.B.C. Bloom — Son
- British American Drama Academy, London, England (1995); Guildhall School of Music & Drama, London, England (1999)
- Birth Name: Orlando Jonathan Blanchard Bloom
- Birth Place: Canterbury, England
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
The Walking Dead returns to a mysterious colony with a lot of guns
By Icon PressBuy New: $7.95
By Plexus PublishingBuy New: $16.95