Neill Blomkamp Fast Facts:
Grew up in Johannesburg, South Africa, but moved to Vancouver at the age of 18.
- Did computer-graphics projects while still a teen for Sharlto Copley's company in South Africa, and later cast Copley as the lead in District 9.
- Studied animation and visual effects at the Vancouver Film School, and produced live-action shorts to promote video game Halo.
- Made commercials for such products as Nike and Gatorade.
- Was scheduled to make the movie Halo with producer Peter Jackson, but financing collapsed.
- Adapted his short Alive in Joburg for his directorial feature debut, 2009's District 9. It was nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay Oscars.
- Was named one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people in 2009.
- Neill Blomkamp Relationships:
- Terri Tatchell - Wife
- Neill Blomkamp Awards:
- 2010 Golden Globe: Best Screenplay - Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2009 Oscar: Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Nominee
- 2009 BAFTA Awards: Best Adapted Screenplay - Nominee
- 2009 BAFTA Awards: Best Director - Nominee