- Grew up in Johannesburg, South Africa, but moved to Vancouver at the age of 18.
- Did computer-graphics projects while still a teen for Sharlto Copley's company in South Africa, and later cast Copley as the lead in District 9.
- Studied animation and visual effects at the Vancouver Film School, and produced live-action shorts to promote video game Halo.
- Made commercials for such products as Nike and Gatorade.
- Was scheduled to make the movie Halo with producer Peter Jackson, but financing collapsed.
- Adapted his short Alive in Joburg for his directorial feature debut, 2009's District 9. It was nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay Oscars.
- Was named one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people in 2009.
- 2010, Golden Globe — Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2009, Oscar — Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Nominee
- 2010, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Adapted Screenplay: Nominee
- 2010, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Director: Nominee
- 2010, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Best Adapted Screenplay: Nominee
- Terri Tatchell — Wife
- Birth Place: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Profession: Director, Writer, Visual effects
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead