- His 80+ years in show business began in 1913 at age 5 when he won a Charlie Chaplin imitator contest; the following year he appeared with Chaplin in Tillie's Punctured Romance.
- Made his first TV appearance on an experimental station in Chicago in 1929.
- Widely regarded as the medium's first big star, he became permanent emcee on the variety show Texaco Star Theater on September 21, 1948. At its peak in the late 1940s and early 1950s, his live show drew an astonishing 80 percent of the audience and sold countless TV sets.
- Signed an exclusive 30-year, $6 million contract with NBC in 1951; it was renegotiated in 1966 and his annual salary was lowered to $120,000, but he could work on other networks.
- Was said to have memorized between 100,000 and 150,000 jokes, and was often ribbed by other comics for stealing a good number of them. (Berle once said of another comic, "I laughed so hard I almost dropped my pencil.")
- Was in the inaugural class inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in 1984, along with Lucille Ball, Paddy Chayefsky, Norman Lear, Edward R. Murrow, William S. Paley and David Sarnoff.
- Was inducted into the California Hall of Fame in 2007.
- 1962, Emmy — Outstanding Single Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1995, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1950, Emmy — Most Outstanding Kinescoped Personality: Winner
- Ruth Cosgrove — Wife (deceased)
- Sarah Glantz — Mother
- Jacob Berlinger — Brother
- Phil Berlinger — Brother
- Francis Berlinger — Brother
- Joyce Mathews — Ex-wife
- Rosalind Berlinger — Sister
- Lorna Adams — Wife
- Moses Berlinger — Father
- Victoria Berle Walton — Daughter
- Leslie Brown — Stepdaughter
- Susan Brown — Stepdaughter
- William Berle — Son
- Birth Name: Mendel Berlinger
- Birth Place: New York, NY
- Died: March 27, 2002
- Profession: TV host, Actor, Comedian
Trending TonightSee all »
We went to Puppy Bowl XIII to speak to the puppies directly about the allegations of certain players illegally eating adult dog food instead of puppy food, the dirtiest fouls to ever stink up the field and so much more