- After his parents divorced in 1959, moved with his mother to Miami Beach, where he took up boxing.
- Attended the Actors Studio in New York and was a student of the acclaimed acting teacher Lee Strasberg.
- While waiting for his big break, held various positions to pay the bills, including pretzel vendor and Good Humor Man.
- First film role was as Pvt. Reese in Steven Spielberg's 1941.
- After a falling out in Hollywood because of a reputation for being difficult to work with, became a professional boxer from 1991 to '95.
- Once co-owned a small street-side stand with his hairdresser called Mickey & Joey's that sold magazines, ice cream and soda-fountain drinks in Beverly Hills.
- 1988, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Nominee
- 2009, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Winner
- 2009, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- 2008, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2006, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 2009, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Leading Actor: Winner
- 2009, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Winner
- 2008, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- Patty Rourke — Sister
- Anastassija Makarenko — Significant Other
- Philip A. Rourke — Father
- Carre Otis — Ex-wife
- Joey Rourke — Brother
- Ann Rourke — Mother
- Debra Feuer — Ex-wife
- Eugene Addis — Stepfather
- Birth Name: Philip Andre Rourke Jr.
- Birth Place: Schenectady, New York, United States
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Life imitates art