Simultaneously tough and sexy, Rodriguez worked as an extra in a handful of films before winning the lead in the independent boxing flick Girlfight
after attending an open call. Although her charismatic performance made her an instant indie It Girl, she quickly took on action roles in big-budget blockbusters. In 2005, Rodriguez made her small-screen debut with a stint on Lost
as a cop with a murderous secret. She then returned to the big screen with roles in Battle in Seattle
(2008), Fast & Furious
(2009) and the critically acclaimed Avatar
(2009). Off-screen, this self-described bad girl has had some run-ins with the law, but she'd likely be happier if the paparazzi focused on her part-time guilty pleasures, karaoke and in-line skating.Michelle Rodriguez Fast Facts:
- Dropped out of high school at 16, but later earned her GED.
- Appeared in an off-Broadway production of The Vagina Monologues.
- Got her big break as a female boxer in the 2000 film Girlfight and trained for five months as a boxer to prepare for the role.
- Stated in a 2000 article in Interview magazine: "No matter what, people are so narrow minded that it won't ever be Michelle Rodriguez the actress, it will always be Michelle Rodriguez the Latin actress. And it's just something that I have to live with, because of the fact that people need labels to understand things. I can't even get into this ignorance that I'm dealing with. So I just ignore it, you know? Ignore the ignorance."
- Did voice work on video games Halo 2, Driv3r and True Crimes: Streets of L.A.
- Michelle Rodriguez Relationships:
- Raul Rodriguez - Brother
- Rafael Rodriguez - Father
- Oscar Rodriguez - Brother
- Carmen Rodriguez - Mother
- Michelle Rodriguez Awards:
- 2005 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series - Winner