- As a New York sessions musician in the late 1960s, recorded a single with the Left Banke.
- Met Laverne & Shirley costar David L. Lander (McKean played Lenny; Lander played Squiggy) at Carnegie Mellon University.
- Originally hired as a writer for Laverne & Shirley.
- With Lander, recorded the 1979 album Lenny and Squiggy Present Lenny and the Squigtones.
- In 1994, became the oldest actor (at age 46) to join the cast of Saturday Night Live; other than Dan Aykroyd, he is the only person to be an SNL host, music guest and cast member.
- Appeared with second wife Annette O'Toole on episodes of Law & Order and Boy Meets World (as husband and wife), and in the 1998 Lifetime movie Final Justice.
- Won the Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational Tournament on Jeopardy! in 2010, winning $1 million for the charity International Myeloma Foundation.
- Forced to leave the 2012 Broadway revival of Gore Vidal's The Best Man after he was hit by a car in New York, breaking his leg.
- 2003, Grammy — Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: Winner
- 2004, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 2003, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Original Song): Nominee
- Ruth McKean — Mother
- Nell Geisslinger — Stepdaughter
- Colin McKean — Son
- Anna Geisslinger — Stepdaughter
- Fletcher McKean — Son
- Gilbert McKean — Father
- Susan Russell — Ex-wife
- Annette O'Toole — Wife
- Attended Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA; attended New York University, New York, NY
- Birth Place: New York, NY
- Birthday: October 17, 1947, Libra
- Profession: Actor, Composer, Director, Screenwriter
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
Art imitates life!