- At 15, dropped out of school to become an apprentice toolmaker at Vickers Armstrong in Crayford, England; he remains interested in mechanical things and collects antique guns.
- Joined the company of London's National Theatre in 1963, when it was under the direction of Sir Laurence Olivier; appeared in productions that included The Royal Hunt of the Sun, The Crucible and Mother Courage.
- First major film role came in 1974, with the campy werewolf movie The Beast Must Die, starring horror vet Peter Cushing.
- Won Laurence Olivier Awards for Best Actor in 1988 for A View from the Bridge and Best Comedy Performance in 1986 for A Chorus of Disapproval and in 1990 for Man of the Moment; has also been nominated numerous times.
- Was made a Commander of Order of the British Empire in 1992 and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1997.
- Won Best Actor BAFTAs for 1986 miniseries The Singing Detective, 1999 miniseries Wives and Daughters, 2000 TV historical drama Longitude and 2001 TV drama Perfect Strangers.
- Son Fergus is a ceramics expert who has appeared on the BBC's Antiques Roadshow.
- 2015, Critics' Choice Television Awards — Best Actor in a Movie or Limited Series: Nominee
- 2003, Olivier Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 2010, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2001, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2003, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2001, Olivier Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- 2002, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 2005, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 2002, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Winner
- 1997, Tony — Actor (Play): Nominee
- Edward Gambon — Father
- Anne Miller — Wife (separated)
- Fergus Gambon — Son
- Mary Gambon — Mother
- Philippa Hart — Significant Other
- Michael — Son
- William — Son
- Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, England
- Birth Name: Michael John Gambon
- Birth Place: Dublin, Ireland
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Here's how everything changed in "Chapter 6"
By Applause Theatre & Cinema BooksBuy New: $17.95