Melissa Etheridge Celebrity Watchlist
- Began playing guitar at age 8.
- At age 11, sang a song that she'd written ("Lonely as a Child") in a talent contest.
- Was seen in concert at a bar in Long Island, CA, by Island Records founder Chris Blackwell in 1986. He was so taken with her that he signed her on the spot.
- Publicly came out as a lesbian at the Triangle Ball, the first gay-and-lesbian inauguration party (for President Bill Clinton) in 1993.
- Achieved a personal dream when her musical hero, Bruce Springsteen, joined her to sing "Thunder Road" on her MTV Unplugged appearance in 1995.
- Was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004 and underwent chemotherapy for two months.
- While still bald from the chemo, she appeared on a Janis Joplin tribute during the 2005 Grammy Awards and performed "Piece of My Heart."
- Appeared as a panelist in 2010's 1 a Minute, a theatrical documentary featuring cancer-survival stories.
- Shares a birthday with partner Linda Wallem.
- 2006, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Original Song): Winner
- 1994, Grammy — Best Female Rock Vocal Performance: Winner
- 1992, Grammy — Best Female Rock Vocal Performance: Winner
- Miller Steven — Son
- Linda Wallem — Wife
- Tammy Lynn Michaels — Ex-fiancée
- Beckett — Son
- Julie Cypher — Ex-significant Other
- Johnnie Rose — Daughter
- Jennifer Etheridge — Sister
- Elizabeth Etheridge — Mother
- John Etheridge — Father
- Bailey Jean Cypher — Daughter
- Attended Berklee College of Music, Boston, Massachusetts, United States(1980)
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Empire: Pilot
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 6. Pretty Little Liars: EscApe from New York
- 7. Neighbors With Benefits: Welcome To The Neighborhood