- Was called Peggy by family and friends while growing up in Connecticut, where she was homecoming queen at Bethel High School.
- Took Ryan, her mother's maiden name, as her surname when she got her Screen Actors Guild card in the late 1970s.
- Was studying journalism at NYU when her mother, a casting agent, got her an audition for the role of Candice Bergen's daughter in George Cukor's last film, Rich and Famous (1981); her film debut led to a two-year stint on the soap As the World Turns.
- In the fall of 2005, became an ambassador for the humanitarian organization CARE International to help raise awareness of women's issues.
- 1994, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1990, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1994, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1999, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- Daisy True — Daughter
- Pat Jordan — Stepfather
- Dana Hyra — Sister
- Dennis Quaid — Ex-husband
- Jack Henry Quaid — Son
- Annie Hyra — Sister
- Andrew Hyra — Brother
- Anthony Edwards — Ex-significant Other
- Harry Hyra — Father
- Susan Ryan Jordan — Mother
- John Mellencamp — Ex-significant Other
- Attended University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut, United States; attended New York University, New York, New York, United States
Trending TonightSee all »
4 Film Favorites: Meg Ryan (The Women, You've Got Mail: Deluxe Edition, Joe Versus The Volcano, Innerspace)
By Warner Home VideoBuy New: $11.27
By Rabbit Ears EntertainmentBuy New: $9.95
By MGMBuy New: $11.88
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 6. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 7. The Blacklist: The Longevity Initiative