- Hailed as one of the founders of the neo-soul movement of the 1990s, along with D'Angelo and Erykah Badu.
- Before his big break in the music business he worked as a waiter in restaurants in New York. (He was not a good waiter, he acknowledges.)
- His father, who died in a place crash when he was 3, was Puerto Rican, and his mother is Haitian.
- To protect his family's privacy, he took on his middle name as a stage name.
- Started writing songs at 17 and taught himself to play keyboards and guitar.
- He was signed to Columbia in 1994 and recorded his debut album, Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite, that year, but due to label management changes, it was not released until 1996.
- His debut album celebrates committed monogamy and was inspired by an intense and brief love affair.
- His influences include Marvin Gaye, Prince, Al Green and Leon Ware.
- For most of the 2000s, he was out of the limelight and did not release a CD from 2001 until '09. He spent the time, he said, reading, playing piano, and, not surprisingly (as he is a ladies' favorite), dating.
- His "comeback" 2009 CD, BLACKsummers'night, drew critical raves and topped the R&B charts.
- 2009, Grammy — Best R&B Album: Winner
- 2009, Grammy — Best Male R&B Vocal Performance: Winner
- Birth Place: Brooklyn, NY
- Profession: Singer, songwriter, recording artist
Trending TonightSee all »
What happens with old timey-sailors get a hold of 21st century porn?
Ancient Mysteries: Ancient Belief Systems, Egypt Light of the World, and, Matrix of Power - by Jordan Maxwell (3 DVD SERIES)
By LightworksAV.comBuy New: $59.95
300 Kettlebell Challenge Instructional DVD Set Starring Steve Maxwell, 18 Powerful Exercises + Full 300 Kettlebell Challenge
By Kettlebell DVDsBuy New: $39.99
- Buy New: $4.99