- Served with the Swedish Quartermaster Corps from 1947 to '48.
- Studied acting at the Royal Dramatic Theatre in Stockholm.
- Made 11 feature films with director Ingmar Bergman, beginning with 1957's The Seventh Seal.
- Made his directorial debut with Katinka (1988); received the Guldbagge Award for Best Director from the Swedish Film Institute.
- Holds dual French and Swedish citizenship.
- 1988, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1988, European Film Awards — European Actor: Winner
- 1974, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2008, Genie Awards — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1990, Australian Film Institute Awards — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Winner
- 2016, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1967, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2011, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1990, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- Carl Wilhelm von Sydow — Father
- Per Henrik von Sydow — Son
- Christina Olin — Ex-wife
- Claes Wilhelm von Sydow — Son
- Cedric Brelet von Sydow — Son
- Yvan Brelet von Sydow — Son
- Greta (Rappe) von Sydow — Mother
- Catherine Brelet — Wife
- Birth Name: Carl Adolf von Sydow
- Birth Place: Lund, Sweden
- Birthday: April 10, 1929, Aries
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
We challenged Chris Geere, Aya Cash, Kether Donohue and Desmin Borges to draw 45-second portraits of each other and the results were... interesting
By Maru EntertainmentBuy New: $23.95
- Buy New: $1.99
By Rabbit Ears EntertainmentBuy New: $9.95