Marlee Matlin Celebrity Watchlist
- Lost her hearing at 18 months of age, after contracting roseola.
- Was 12 when she met Henry Winkler, who encouraged her to pursue her acting dreams.
- In 1986, at the age of 21, was the youngest performer to receive a Best Actress Oscar (for Children of a Lesser God).
- Husband Kevin knew how to sign before meeting her; he had taken a course in college to fulfill a language requirement.
- In 1993, performed the national anthem in American Sign Language at Super Bowl XXVII as Garth Brooks sang.
- Competed on the sixth season of ABC's Dancing With the Stars.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2009.
- Very active in charitable organizations, including the American Red Cross and Easter Seals.
- Has written books for children, beginning in 2002 with Deaf Child Crossing.
- 1994, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1994, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1992, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama: Nominee
- 1993, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama: Nominee
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1987, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Winner
- 1986, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Winner
- 1995, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Brandon Grandalski — Son
- Eric Matlin — Brother
- David E. Kelley — Ex-significant Other
- Sarah Grandalski — Daughter
- Isabelle Grandalski — Daughter
- Kevin Grandalski — Husband
- Marc Matlin — Brother
- Tyler Grandalski — Son
- Don Matlin — Father
- William Hurt — Ex-significant Other
- Richard Dean Anderson — Ex-significant Other
- Libby Matlin — Mother
- Attended Harper College, Palatine, IL
Next On TVSee all »
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. American Idol: Top 9 Perform
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 7. Pretty Little Liars: EscApe from New York