Mark Wahlberg Celebrity Watchlist
Back in the early '90s, when this rebel-turned-rapper was showing off his talent by sporting a pair of boxers in racy Calvin Klein ads, no one could have predicted that he would become a dashing, Oscar-nominated movie star. But Wahlberg has a long traditio… (more)
Birth Name: Mark Robert Michael Wahlberg
Birth Place: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Birthday: June 5, 1971, Gemini
Profession: Actor, Singer, Model
Back in the early '90s, when this rebel-turned-rapper was showing off his talent by sporting a pair of boxers in racy Calvin Klein ads, no one could have predicted that he would become a dashing, Oscar-nominated movie star. But Wahlberg has a long tradition of defying expectations. The younger brother of New Kids on the Block's Donnie Wahlberg, this working-class hunk was an original member of the boy band but quit before they came to fame. A troubled teen, Wahlberg had a number of run-ins with the law, including a drug-induced attack on a Vietnamese man that earned him a stint in jail and a racist reputation. With his brother's help as producer, he turned his life around and launched a music career of his own. As rapper Marky Mark, the pretty-boy leader of the Funky Bunch, Wahlberg became a teen idol. But to the hard-core hip-hop community he was joke, a one-hit wonder ("Good Vibrations") destined for pop-culture oblivion. Reinventing himself once again, Wahlberg turned to acting. His big break came in the lauded 1997 indie Boogie Nights. As a well-endowed, blue-collar kid who becomes a '70s porn icon, Wahlberg was a revelation. Boasting charisma and surprising range, he was equally convincing as a sexy stud and a strung-out has-been. From then on, the budding star chose his projects carefully, signing on to a string of highly anticipated pictures. Unfortunately, many of them failed to live up to their buzz (The Yards, the Charade remake titled The Truth About Charlie, Rock Star) and even the ones that did make money (A Perfect Storm, the remake of The Planet of the Apes) took critical drubbings. As the romantic lead in yet another remake, the 2003 ensemble heist flick The Italian Job, he scored a commercial and critical hit. The next year, he branched out into producing with the autobiographically inspired HBO series Entourage, about a hot Hollywood heartthrob and his hangers-on. But it was his turn as a Boston cop in 2006's The Departed that finally earned him industry respect in the form of Golden Globe and Oscar nods.
- Was one of the original members of the band New Kids on the Block at age 13, with older brother Donnie.
- In 1991, "Marky Mark" (his rap name), along with a backup rapper and dancers (dubbed "the Funky Bunch"), released their platinum debut album, Music for the People.
- Signed a two year deal in 1991 to model for Calvin Klein underwear.
- Was scheduled to fly on doomed September 11 flight United 93 but ended up changing his plans.
- Originally cast as Linus Caldwell in Ocean's Eleven, but had to drop out due to scheduling problems.
- Executive produced the HBO series Entourage, modeled on his own experiences.
- Dropped out of high school in ninth grade; he later completed classes online and earned his high school diploma in 2013.
- 2010, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2009, Emmy — Outstanding Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1997, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2014, Emmy — Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program: Nominee
- 2011, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2007, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2006, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2006, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 2012, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2008, Emmy — Outstanding Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2011, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2010, Oscar — Best Motion Picture of the Year: Nominee
- Grace Margaret Wahlberg — Daughter
- Jim Wahlberg — Brother
- Tracey Wahlberg — Sister
- Alma Wahlberg — Mother
- Debbie Wahlberg — Sister
- Arthur Wahlberg — Brother
- Paul Wahlberg — Brother
- Michael Wahlberg — Son
- Robert Wahlberg — Brother
- Donald E. Wahlberg — Father
- Donnie Wahlberg — Brother
- Ella Rae Wahlberg — Daughter
- Rhea Durham — Wife
- Sofía Vergara — Ex-significant Other
- Michelle Wahlberg — Sister
- Brendan Joseph Wahlberg — Son
- Soleil Moon Frye — Ex-significant Other
Trending TonightSee all »
By Warner Home VideoBuy New: $12.96
4 Film Favorites: Mark Wahlberg (The Perfect Storm, Three Kings, Rock Star, The Corruptor: Platinum Series)
By Warner Home VideoBuy New: $10.12
By iNetVideoBuy New: $5.84
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 7. The Blacklist: The Longevity Initiative