This British-born entrepreneur is a pioneer of American reality television, producing the unscripted mega-hits Survivor and The Apprentice, among many others. Before getting into entertainment, Burnett saw combat as a member of the British Army Parachute Regiment and was a self-declared thrill seeker. While participating in an extreme race called Raid Gauloises in the early 1990s, he decided to film the event, then presented the footage to ESPN, who aired it; thus began Burnett's showbiz career. Within a few years, he had rocketed to fame and fortune as the producer of Survivor, which was based on a Swedish reality show. Despite some subsequent high-profile disappointments (The Contender, Pirate Master), Burnett continues to dominate the genre and was elected into the Broadcast and Cable Hall of Fame in 2008.
- Joined the British Army Parachute Regiment at 17 and served from 1977 to 1982.
- Was awarded active service medals in both the Northern Island and Falklands conflicts.
- Moved to Los Angeles in 1982 and worked as a nanny, at an insurance company and selling T-shirts on Venice Beach.
- Became a U.S. citizen in 1990.
- Created his first TV series, Eco-Challenge, in 1995 after participating in the Raid Gauloises, an annual endurance race that began in 1989.
- Developed the concept for Survivor---based on a Swedish reality series---which was immediately successful upon its debut in May 2000.
- Teamed up with business tycoon Donald Trump to launch reality competition The Apprentice in 2004.
- Married his second wife, Roma Downey, in a 2007 Malibu beach ceremony officiated by actor Della Reese.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2009.
- 2002, Emmy — Outstanding Special Class Program: Nominee
- 2015, Producers Guild Awards — Outstanding Producer of Competition Television: Winner
- 2013, Emmy — Outstanding Miniseries or Movie: Nominee
- 2001, Emmy — Outstanding Non-Fiction Program (Special Class): Nominee
- 2001, Emmy — Outstanding Non-Fiction Program (Special Class): Winner
- 2012, Emmy — Outstanding Reality Program: Nominee
- 2012, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 2003, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 2014, Emmy — Outstanding Structured Reality Program: Winner
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 2013, Emmy — Outstanding Reality Program: Nominee
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Nominee
- 2013, Emmy — Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: Winner
- 2014, Emmy — Outstanding Reality-Competition Program: Nominee
- 2015, Producers Guild Awards — Outstanding Producer of Non-Fiction Television: Nominee
- Archie Burnett — Father
- Reilly Anspaugh — Stepdaughter
- Cameron — Son
- James — Son
- Diane Burnett — Ex-wife
- Roma Downey — Wife
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Place: London, England
- Birthday: July 17, 1960, Cancer
- Profession: Producer, Reality series creator
- User Rating: