With her offbeat beauty and sensitive aura, Gyllenhaal has made a career out of playing troubled souls who possess more strength than they realize. The daughter of Oscar-nominated screenwriter Naomi Foner and Emmy-nominated director Stephen Gyllenhaal, the… (more)
Birth Name: Margalit Ruth Gyllenhaal
Birth Place: New York, New York, United States
Birthday: November 16, 1977, Scorpio
With her offbeat beauty and sensitive aura, Gyllenhaal has made a career out of playing troubled souls who possess more strength than they realize. The daughter of Oscar-nominated screenwriter Naomi Foner and Emmy-nominated director Stephen Gyllenhaal, the actress began appearing in her parents' projects as a teen. In 2001, she portrayed the older sister to her real-life brother, Jake, in the cult sci-fi flick Donnie Darko. But while it proved to be her sibling's breakout role, she lingered in her family members' shadows. That changed the next year, when she won the title role in the offbeat indie Secretary. As a suicidal young woman who finds a reason to live when she embarks on a sadomasochistic relationship with her boss, Gyllenhaal was surprisingly charming and deservedly earned a Golden Globe nod for her performance. The up-and-comer continued to choose quirky roles---a promiscuous rebel in Mona Lisa Smile, a vapid makeup artist in Adaptation---and turned in fine work in a trio of projects that touched on the events of September 11: the TV-movie Strip Search, the docudrama World Trade Center and the indie Happy Endings. During press for the latter, Gyllenhaal made an offhand comment about the U.S. being partially responsible for the terrorist attacks. This sparked a quick controversy, which was quashed when she apologized. The year 2006 was a banner one for Gyllenhaal: Not only did she snag her second Golden Globe nod for her turn as an ex-con trying to reconcile with her daughter in SherryBaby, but she also gave birth to a daughter with then-fiancé Peter Sarsgaard. After appearing in her first blockbuster film, 2008's "The Dark Knight," she followed up with her first Oscar nomination for 2009's "Crazy Heart."
- Studied briefly at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.
- Directed in her first six films by her father.
- Played the role of Alice in a 2000 Los Angeles stage production of Closer.
- Started modeling for lingerie company Agent Provocateur six months after her daughter was born.
- In 2009 performed off-Broadway in Uncle Vanya with then-fiancé Peter Sarsgaard.
- An avid supporter of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
- 2014, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nominee
- 2009, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 2015, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 2007, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2003, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- Jake Gyllenhaal — Brother
- Naomi Foner — Mother
- Peter Sarsgaard — Husband
- Ramona Sarsgaard — Daughter
- Stephen Gyllenhaal — Father
- Kathleen Man — Stepmother
- Gloria Ray Sarsgaard — Daughter
- Columbia University, New York, New York, United States (BA in English, 1999)
Trending TonightSee all »
The Dark Knight (Two-Disc Special Edition + Digital Copy with Exclusive Steelbook Packaging) ~ Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and...Usually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $14.16 (as of 12:45 AM UTC - more info)
By CTVUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $19.97 (as of 12:45 AM UTC - more info)
Sherrybaby with Maggie Gyllenhaal / When A Man Falls with Sharon Stone & Timothy Hutton / Loverboy with Kyra SedgwickUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $7.49 (as of 12:45 AM UTC - more info)