- His father is a retired cardiologist, his mother is a retired obstetrician, and his wife is a psychologist. Nine other members of his family are M.Ds. or Ph.Ds.
- Was given a Super-8 camera as a child and began making films at age 10; by age 16 had completed over 45 short films.
- Raised Hindu, but attended Catholic and Episcopal schools before going to NYU.
- Films are shot in or around and take place in his hometown of Philadelphia.
- Often appears in cameo performances in his films.
- Adopted the middle name "Night" while in college.
- 2000, BAFTA Film Awards — The David Lean Award for Achievement in Direction: Nominee
- 1999, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Nominee
- 2000, Golden Globe — Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2000, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Original Screenplay: Nominee
- 1999, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Nominee
- 1999, Oscar — Best Writing (Original Screenplay): Nominee
- 2000, Writers Guild Awards — Original Screenplay: Nominee
- Bhavna Vashani — Wife
- Jayalakshmi Shyamalan — Mother
- Ishana Shyamalan — Daughter
- Nelliate C. Shyamalan — Father
- Saleka Shyamalan — Daughter
- Veena Loftus — Sister
- New York University, Tisch School of the Arts, New York, NY (BFA in filmmaking, 1992)
- Birth Name: Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan
- Birth Place: Pondicherry, India
- Birthday: August 6, 1970, Leo
- Profession: Director, Writer, Actor, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
Travel around the abode
By Buena Vista Home EntertainmentBuy New: $42.99
By Palgrave MacmillanBuy New: $53.97