Already in his mid-twenties when he shot to stardom playing a James Dean-type high-school rebel on Beverly Hills, 90210
, Perry has, like most of the series' costars, tried his best to shed his teen-idol image. Cute and brooding, the actor pursued a big-screen career and even took a two-season hiatus from 90210
in order to appear in a succession of big-screen projects, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer
as well as an impressive turn as a bull-riding champion in 8 Seconds.
Perry eventually returned to the small screen, reprising his 90210
role until the series went off the air in 2000, and subsequently tackled a variety of parts on cable shows (a corrupt televangelist on Oz
, a postapocalyptic survivor on Jeremiah
) and on stage. In 2006 he returned to network TV with the ensemble drama Windfall
, in the decidedly mature role of an unhappily married lottery winner, and in 2007 he joined the cast of the one-season HBO cult hit John From Cincinnati.
Not bad for an actor who used to keep a tally of all of his acting rejections---216 in all---before finally striking it big.Luke Perry Fast Facts:
- Voted Biggest Flirt his senior year of high school.
- Kept a tally of his 216 acting rejections before landing a stint on the ABC sudser Loving.
- Originally auditioned for the role of Steve Sanders on Beverly Hills, 90210.
- Made his Broadway debut as Brad in a revival of The Rocky Horror Show in 2001.
- Came to the aid of audience members when part of the London Theatre's ceiling collapsed during a 2004 production of the show When Harry Met Sally, in which he starred. He tended to some of the injured and helped with the theater's evacuation.
- Ranked No. 6 in a 2005 TV GUIDE list of TV's Greatest Teen Idols.
- Luke Perry Relationships:
- Emily Bennett - Stepsister
- Minnie Sharp - Ex-wife
- Steve Bennett - Stepfather
- Ann Perry Bennett - Mother
- Sophie Perry - Daughter
- Amy Perry - Sister
- Coy Luther Perry II - Father
- Jack Perry - Son
- Thomas Perry - Brother