Raised on New York City's Lower East Side, at times in a squat, Schreiber managed to pull himself out of poverty and earned a heady degree in Semiotics from Hampshire College; he later went on to study acting at London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and a… (more)
Birth Name: Isaac Liev Schreiber
Birth Place: San Francisco, CA
Birthday: October 4, 1967, Libra
Raised on New York City's Lower East Side, at times in a squat, Schreiber managed to pull himself out of poverty and earned a heady degree in Semiotics from Hampshire College; he later went on to study acting at London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and at Yale University. He landed his first professional acting job in the United Kingdom (at Scotland's Edinburgh Festival) before he began appearing on stage and screen stateside, quickly establishing himself as a versatile character actor able to tackle everything from Shakespeare to slasher flicks. Initially he gained exposure in a string of supporting roles, often as the guy who doesn't get the girl, in myriad indies (Walking and Talking, Party Girl). But he hit the mainstream as an oddball falsely accused of murder in the smash Scream horror franchise. He continued to embody diverse characters, alternating effortlessly between theater and film, and earned an Emmy nod for his deft portrayal of Orson Welles in the TV-movie RKO 281. He continued to play the other man in films, although off screen he was linked to a number of beauties, including Kristin Davis and Naomi Watts. In 2004, his career kicked into overdrive when he portrayed the title character in the remake of The Manchurian Candidate. Instead of making a play to be Hollywood's next leading man, he returned to his stage roots in 2005 and won a Tony in the lauded revival of Glengarry Glen Ross, and also made his debut as a film director and screenwriter with the indie Everything Is Illuminated. Always up for new challenges, he played the role of the comic-book supervillain Sabertooth in the 2009 summer blockbuster X-Men Origins: Wolverine. In addition to his acting, Schreiber also has a lucrative career narrating documentaries and commercials.
- As a youngster, lived in a series of squatters' apartments without running water or electricity on New York City's Lower East Side while his mother was on welfare.
- Made his screenwriting and directorial debut with Everything Is Illuminated in 2005.
- Has a lucrative side career narrating documentaries and commercials.
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 2005, Tony — Actor (Featured Role--Play): Winner
- 2007, Tony — Actor (Play): Nominee
- 2014, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama: Nominee
- 2012, AACTA Awards — Best Supporting Actor: Nominee
- 2000, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2015, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama: Nominee
- 2010, Tony — Actor (Play): Nominee
- Samuel Kai Schreiber — Son
- Alexander Pete Schreiber — Son
- Pablo Schreiber — Half Brother
- Naomi Watts — Significant Other
- Tell Schreiber — Father
- Heather Milgram — Mother
- Hampshire College, Amherst, MA (BA in Semiotics, 1988); attended Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, England; Yale University, New Haven, CT (MFA, 1992)
Trending TonightSee all »
By Charlie Rose, Inc.Usually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $24.95 (as of 5:57 PM UTC - more info)
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $0.00 (as of 5:57 PM UTC - more info)
By "Charlie Rose, Inc."Usually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $24.95 (as of 5:57 PM UTC - more info)